We’re in the thick of grilling season which means it’s time to start adding new and exciting dishes to get fired up outside. This recipe just screams summertime which is why it’s one of my favorites to make during these warm months. It’s also so great to make because of how incredibly easy it is!
Caprese is a salad that only consists of 3 major ingredients which are tomato, fresh mozzarella and basil. With this dish, we are basically just adding a beautiful piece of grilled chicken underneath all of this goodness and topping with a drizzle of delicious balsamic glaze.
Unlike beef, when grilling chicken it is extra important to know when it is finished cooking thoroughly. You will always want to check with a meat thermometer to verify that the chicken is at a safe temperature to eat. When the temperature says at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit then you are good to go! From my experience, this is usually about 25-30 minutes of grilling time.
What’s also so great about this recipe is that with these ingredients, it really is all about what makes your taste buds the happiest. Don’t want as much garlic? Definitely use less of it then. Are your chicken breasts larger and needs more Italian dressing? Then add some more! This is a guideline of how it worked well for me, but definitely try and make it your own if you so desire.
- 1 package fresh mozzarella, pre sliced
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 cup Italian dressing
- 2-3 large tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- Balsamic glaze
- Clean all chicken breasts and remove any excess fat and place into 9×13 pan
- Once all chicken is properly cleaned, sprinkle onion powder on each chicken. This is roughly about 1/2 a Tablespoon for all 8 breasts
- Add minced garlic and spread evenly over chicken
- Add Italian dressing and fully submerge the chicken so that it is completely soaked and marinated. (No need to let the chicken sit)
- Heat up the grill to about 475 degrees Fahrenheit and then place the chicken evenly dispersed across the grill
- Keep an eye on the chicken and flip every once in a while to get all sides evenly grilled
- With only a few minutes left of grilling, place one piece of fresh mozzarella cheese on each chicken breast. Some breasts were pretty large, so a little extra piece of cheese was placed on top. Keep on the grill until each piece of mozzarella has just started to melt.
- Once completely cooked (at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit for each breast) , remove chicken from the grill and place a slice of tomato on each piece of chicken
- Chop up fresh basil and sprinkle on top of all pieces of chicken
- Drizzle balsamic glaze on top of all pieces of chicken
And that’s it! I served this with broccoli, mashed potatoes and a fresh garden salad, but this really can go with so many kinds of sides. Use what you like!